Skip to main content

Government Nepotism in the State of Maine- One Hand Awards The Other.

I hope others will join me in researching the real facts behind the rhetoric of the current bond debate instigated By Governor LePage's veto of the  research and development bond.. This page Maine State Legislative Links is where I keep track of what I come across in my research and makes a good starting point.

 I invite all to contribute a guest editorial about this subject.

Close to the top of the list is The Journal of Innovation & Transformation,  published by the Southern Maine Community College, a likely recipient of those r&d funds that the governor just vetoed.

About two thirds of the way down is The Midcoast Campus A Model In Educational Development  by Charle s Lawton , P .h. D. There you will find a chart of the "targeted sector", which looks pretty comprehensive were it not for the fact that it noticeably excludes the retail and tourist industries, which happen to be the main stay of my small community. It seems these sectors are not desirable in the eyes of government academics who design the plans for the future Maine economy, which is a reason why Governor's Lepage's recent support for taxing internet retail sales hits so hard. Not only does the state government not contribute anything to the wealth created by internet sales, but the state government ignores the entire in state retail sector in it's economic development schemes- but that is to be expected when the government is deeply entrenched in the special interests business as it is here in Maine. A special interest sector includes some while excluding others.

So the MRRA- the Marxist Regional Redevelopment Authority- I'm sorry- that's wrong- the first "M" stands for "Midcaost" and not "Marxist"- That is the Midcoast Regional Redevelopment Authority- which is at once a municipal corporation - meaning local government defined by the territory that it occupies- which is much smaller than the entire Midcoast area- and an "instrumentality of the state"- which covers an area much larger than the entire Midcoast Area. Given the special act of legislation that stands as the charter for this corporation grants it the power to acquire adjacent property by eminent domain - and given that this is an agency of a state controlled economy, one can argue that "Marxist" makes as much sense as "Midcoast" makes nonsense.

In the short amount of time that I am able to devote to researching this subject today, I came across a recent press release for the MRRA.

It tells us this:


September 16, 2011 - MRRA Receives MDF's "Champion of Economic Development" Award - Click here to read press release

So the MRRA - an instrumentality of the state- ( in other words quantifiable as "government" in terms of LePage's claims about r&d research recipients) has received an award from the Maine Development Foundation- which is another government agency

A quote from the website of  The Maine Development Foundation

“MDF is a special creature of state law enabled to bring private sector thinking and experience to state government planning and program implementation. There is no other entity like it.”- Kay Rand, Managing Director, Bernstein Shur Government Solutions LLC

Charter for the Maine Development Foundation - est in or about 1977-1979
Charter For The MRRA est in or about 2009

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FaceBook Blocking- in-Q-Tel and the Private Hegemony Of Power

TWEET THIS:  http://goo.gl/9y2MiH  Recently a message appeared  on my screen , being identified as from Facebook. It brought up the Facebook login screen and warned against sending friend requests to people that one does not know in one's circle of friends , family, work, and classmates I first received the message several months ago. The first message included a list of twenty names of people who did not respond to my friend request over all the years that I have been on Facebook. It asked that I delete all the requests and suggested that I stop sending friend requests for a week. The next was a list of 7 names - some of them very recent requests, which I did not think were given adequate response time. The third message to appear  told  that I am blocked for a week from adding friends and displayed a list of five names- all very recent requests- all in response to those with whom I interacted on Facebook- and one within the last hour of receiving t...

High Brow Art VS the Marketplace and the Maine Juice Conference

TWEET THIS http://goo.gl/xdwZDk Continuing with my story from HERE ...(and incorporating a few paragraphs from this earlier but incomplete telling ) Finally, after a year of receiving stimulus fund notices for non-profits only, in the fall of 2009, I received an email from the Maine Arts Commission about a competition for small businesses for what I took to be, a modest grant for the sum of 30000.00 from an "anonymous source". In a moment of hopeful delusions, I imagined that the Maine Arts Commission had come to its senses and realized that they needed to support the private sector. The competition was called an "elevator pitch competition" which means a pitch delivered in five minutes. Even the written answers to questions on the application were required to be answered in a minimal number of words, brevity being stressed as being so important that if your couldn't explain a business idea in five minutes, then one's business idea is simply not ...

Resident shouted down and threatened with police force at Hampden Town Cou...

This is a video of a woman valiantly fighting for her freedom of speech at a Hampden, Maine Town Council meeting. Despite threats to call the police if she didn't stop expressing her views, she prevailed as a public citizen protesting the town council's expenditure's of the taxpayers money, reminding them that it comes out of the pockets of the people. As a function of posting this video on As Maine Goes, which is still active at this time, The names of the two people in this encounter have been identified: Quoting from the As Maine Goes discussion: Vic Berardelli : "The name of the woman speaking in the video is Kristin Hornbeck , who once sat on the Hampden Town Council." This has been corrected- The woman's name is Kirsten Hornbrook. Three Pipe Problem ; " I believe Thomas B. Brann is the Chair , demonstrating either an infantile grasp of Robert's Rules or a deliberate abuse of them. How can this guy sleep at night? I hope he does the rig...